References are in Comments below, because this text field will not allow the entire post. This is a revised repost of an earlier post
NIH Finds Anti-Coronavirus Activity and Activity against other Viruses in Herbs
- Quercetin and EGCG (Green Tea polyphenol) exhibit zinc ionophore activity. ZINC IONOPHORE Activity is how Anti-Malaria Drugs Hydroxychloroquine and Chloroquine work. They 'carry zinc' into the cells and interfere with RdRp enzyme needed for the virus to 'hijack' the cell into replicating itself during the
transferencetranslation process. Zinc ionophores also are toxic to specifically cancer cells.
- Artemisia annua / wormwood -- SARS-CoV 3CL protease inhibitor activity in wormwood
- Myricetin -- found in many herbs, notably fennel, SARS-CoV helicase inhibitor
- Betulinic Acid, sources include EU mistletoe, rosemary, self-heal, jujube, white birch, other birch species
- Hinoki Cypress (tree -- Chamaecyparis obtusa ) heartwood is source of lignan Savinin
- White Birch (tree -- White Birch, Betula pubescens, other Betula species) -- source of Betulinic acid, Betulin
- Sage (herb -- Salvia officinalis) -- essential oil, source of monoterpenes such as camphor, limonene, pinene, thujone, cineol
- Chaga (mushroom -- Inonotus obliquus) -- extract, source of betulinic acid, betulin, phytosterols, beta glucan
- Licorice root (RAW, not DGL) -- DGL removes a substance that is actually useful against the coronavirus. Use raw powder from the bulk section of whole foods. Not good on the liver to take this long term.
- Forskholin -- its an extract from a type of tropical coleus from India, sold OTC as a weight mgmt herb that doesn't work
- Curcumin -- Turmeric root extract, sold OTC as an anti-inflammatory that mostly works
- Goldenroot (herb -- Rhodiola rosea) -- source of antiviral compounds allic acid, caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, and catechin
- Oregano (herb -- Origanum vulgare) -- source of Carvacrol, Thymol, Eugenol, Limonene, etc -- Gaia Herbs sells the best "oil of oregano" pills because of the method SCO2 extract -- powerful, proven monoterpenes with a wide range of antimicrobial, antifungal, and even antiviral properties
- Worth noting that Bee Balm (Monarda sp.) has a phytochemical profile that looks nearly identical to oregano. It smells like a lemony oregano also and can be used in its place in food.
- Elderberry (spice/herb juice extract Sambucus nigrum) -- source of antiviral compounds
- Thyme (spice/herb essential oil -- Thymus vulgaris) -- source of Thymol
- Clove (spice/herb Syzygium aromaticum) -- source of Eugenol
I. Yellow Stack (by color) // Native American Chemotherapy -- Superior Antioxidant // Immune Support
- Quercetin (take with berberine)
- Berberine (take with quercetin)
- EGCG (green tea polyphenol, optional)
Discovered this stack years ago on a blog talking about a Native American's (Cherokee) Anticancer stack, which was described as a very bitter, white oak bark and mahonia/berberis (oregon grape root / barberry root) tea. They were on to something. Quercitin from Quercus (oak) and Berberine from barberry / Berberis have been shown to work powerfully together to fight tumors and greatly boost the immune system.
Do not take goldenseal internally--ethnobotany / folklore indicate it was never used internally by native americans but rather as a styptic for wounds that leaves the wound golden, not unlike povidone. Goldenseal the plant is threatened, so don't choose a berberine supplement that is sourced from goldenseal but from Mahonia or Berberis genus.
The yellow stack has been validated by nih study reports demonstrating the activity of quercitin, egcg together with zinc as a zinc ionophore, or 'a carrier of zinc into the cell's cytoplasm' which has activities specificially against malignant cancer cells, as well as viruses ---(incl. human coronavirus) by inhibiting their replication. Zinc ionophores do this by increasing cytoplasmic zinc which then inhibits RdRp (rna dependent rna polymerase), an enzyme needed in the translation process, which is the process hijacked by virus replaction.
Note that this zinc ionophore activity is how chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are being used to treat the novel human coronavirus (SARS-2-COVID19)
II. White Stack (by color) -- Immunity shield
- Selenium (SeMSC or Selenomethionine) (Infowars, Jarrow, NOW or any)
- L-Glutamine (NOW)
- N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NOW)
- L-Tryptophan (NOW)
- Alpha-lipoic-Acid (NOW)
- L-Glycine (NOW)
Call the above the "Glutathione stack" or "white stack" -- this will boost your immune system tremendously. I have HIV and cannot take the medicine, so I take this instead. Have not been sick for more than a day in 6 yrs now, taking this every other day
Again, this is a nutritional testimonial, not advice or medical advice. If anything, it's nutritional advice, and I've taken nutrition coursework at university so I can adise on this.
I do not work for NOW foods. I choose them because they contain what they claim, they are good quality and low price, and made in usa
III. "Black stack" (by color) // or '7 Thieves Cure' // "Herbal Nuke" // "Spice bomb"
The black stack is based loosely on the 4 thieves cure, which became the 7 thieves cure. The "thieves cure" was "botanical and spices based perfume as medicine". The folklore is that during the black plague, thieves found they could loot corpses if they wore bandanas and scarves soaked in essential oils based perfume, because these essences were protective. This became the basis of the "plague doctor" masks, in which long "concial bird like beaks" were stuffed with hay and herbs, spices and essential perfume oils to act as a primitive filter to not only absorb and cover the stench but also to protect the doctors.
The black stack is a powerful "catch all" immunity shield that will protect against a very large variety of pathogens. And that's according to their own research on NIH.GOV, which is extensive. These herbs have been studied quite a lot. I myself have located not less than 200 articles on OREGANO itself. I consider this to be the king of herbs, as it can even fight MRSA with more efficacy than even pharma's offerings. Now that we have supercritical CO2 Extract technology, herbal extractives have started to level that playing field with pharma offerings, but offer a different approach--small percentages of hundreds of chemicals, versus a pill that is just one (or 2-3) chemicals...the approach is one that is in accordance with nature, because it's POSSIBLE (though not likely) to eat a half a bucket of oregano, but it's NOT possible stumble upon a 1/2 tsp of viagra or ketamine which doesn't exist in nature, for example
Take with food. One of each. Once or twice a day until better. If its too much choose a different 3 each successive dose, but always add Oregano. Oregano pills can be hard on the stomach. Start small. Burps will be horrid and fragrant. Take with food. Take when you feel sick coming on. If you are throwing up, you won't be able to keep this down without emptying your stomach and taking double dose of Bonine first
- Gaia Herbs Oil of Oregano (carvacrol, required)
- Gaia Herbs Olive leaf (oleuropeins)
- Gaia Herbs Turmeric (curcumin)
- Clove Extract Pill (eugenol)
- Gaia Herbs Rhodiola Rosea
- Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry
- Gaia Herbs Astragalus Supreme
- Baikal Scullcap (optional, because difficult to find)
- Gaia Herbs Ginger (optional)
- Orange Burps (limonene, antimicrobial and for reflux)
- Apple Cider Vinegar (to assuage potential reflux)
COVID19 Cytokine Storms and Reinfections
With COVID19, people are concerned about the fatal "cytokine storm", that happens because this virus mutates much like flu or HIV (original antigenic sin). This Hoskins effect also means any vaccine will likely either completely fail or be only partially effective against COVID19--we know the hoskins effect is at play because the virus mutates and people are getting reinfected. Reinfections means vaccines won't work, because they defy the concept of vaccines (covid19 isn't chicken pox).
The BLACK STACK is a notable herbal formulation because nearly every component is anti-inflammatory, and thus will play a part in mitigating any fatal cytokine storm, while also acting to both protect the vulnerable body from other opportunistic infections, boost the immune system's ability to adapt ("adaptogens") and fight the viral infection itself.
It's also notable that oregano has been used to treat chest infections such as pneumonia as far back as pliny the elder, possibly beyond
Please see the comments for references on oregano and its antiviral activity. The antiviral activity comes from specifical chemical compounds in oregano which are discussed throughout the literature cited below. Keep in mind that oregano is not the only source of those compounds, but is available to varying degrees in many herbs and plants in the plant kingdom. Oregano is my chosen herb simply because it has so many powerful compounds within it (carvacrol, eugenol, thymol, limonene, capropyhlene, etc) that it's in my book a panacea. Don't discount the power of correcting mineral deficiences in the human body though. That ought be done first. and start with iron, selenium, zinc, magnesium, potassium, iodine, boron